Dancer Shibli's memories of Eid

Noted dancer-choreographer Shibli Mohammad shared his childhood memories of Eid with this reporter. The artiste also talked about his recent performance in Japan, reports daily star. Excerpts:

“Just before Eid, Amma would make new dresses for all of us 10 siblings (six brothers and four sisters). I would collect and hide bits and pieces of the fabric of my new dress so that no one could see it before Eid.

“I would walk on the bed in my new shoes to avoid them getting dirty. I would also make a list of houses to visit for Eid ‘salami’ when we would hurriedly fall at the feet of our elders.

“I cannot forget the moment when my Nani (maternal grandma) gave me a new one taka note as ‘salami’ one Eid day. I was thrilled to receive that one taka. Today’s children get 8-10 dresses, which is more than they actually require, as gifts during Eid; that’s why they may not realise the real charm of getting new dresses during Eid festivities. But we would get only one dress on Eid-ul-fitr which we treasured. While on Eid-ul-Azha dresses weren’t a must have. We would roam around different houses on Chand Raat.

“Sleeplessness reigns supreme on the night before Eid. Now it is our turn to give ‘salami ‘to younger ones. Untainted joy lies in giving gifts to someone. I prefer to give gifts to the poor. I experience great inner joy when I see their content and happy faces.

“I don’t celebrate Eid without my mother, as I think those who do celebrate the day without their mothers are unfortunate. I totally dislike the idea of those who celebrate Eid abroad, leaving their mothers alone at home.”

Director duo of Nrityanchal –Shibli Mohammad and Shameem Ara Nipa –along with four dancers –Parvin, Jhinuk, Tapan and Limon of the troupe went to Japan for a performance, marking 40 years of diplomatic relations between Bangladesh and Japan. Noted folk singer Chandana Majumdar and Sarod artiste Shahadat Hossain Khan also gave a performance at the same locale. Starting from July 19, the event was held at Takamatsu city located in central Kagawa prefecture on the island of Shikoku, Japan.

“After Eid-ul-fitr, I’ll go to London to attend the marriage ceremony of my friend’s daughter. Later, I’ll visit my younger brother in Denmark. Following the visit, I’ll go to USA to visit my elder sister- in- law who has unfortunately been diagnosed with cancer. I do want to stay beside her in her agonising days

0 comments: