I’m not interested in being a role model: Soha Ali Khan

This year, she has been a part of acclaimed (and commercially successful) films such as Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster Returns and Go Goa Gone (guest appearance). But of late, Soha Ali Khan has been in the news for moving in with her long-time boyfriend Kunal Khemu at their plush pad in Khar (West). Over a long chat at her new home, she talks about her personal and professional life, including her future with Kunal.
We hear you just got back from London.
Yes, I went with Kunal. Last June, we went together for the first time. Till he went there, he was a New York guy for whom America was the place to be. I told him since I know the city (London) well, let me show you around. We were there only for four days. This time, though, we decided to go for three weeks.
We believe you also introduced him to your college friends.
Of course. He had met some of them the last time, while he met the others this time around. They are all my friends from university
(Oxford). In London, we wanted to see a lot of places. And we both love theatre, so we watched a lot of it, including new
Broadway shows like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Book of Mormon.
Was it difficult for you to move in with your boyfriend?
It’s the first time that I have done something like this. But we are not advocating it to others. There’s no regret about moving in together, which is a big deal (for both of us). It works for us but it may not work for you.
Ultimately, it’s your decision. A lot of people feel actors are role models. But I am not interested in being a role model. I’m only interested in living my life the way I want to.
Is marriage on the cards?
We have discussed it openly. We’ve just moved in. Within a week, people get bored and say, ‘Arrey, that’s last week’s thing, abhi naya kya hai (what’s new now).’ For us, it’s a big thing. We need time to settle down in this first. Then we will think about what, if something, happens next. And we are enjoying this phase.
Why aren’t you guys doing more movies together?
I want to work with good actors and directors, and he (Kunal) is a superb actor. Of course, if I work with him, I will get to spend a lot of time with him, but that’s not the prime concern. It’s not for us to come up with that kind of concept. A director or a producer has to do it. We do get offers, but none of them have been interesting. I would love to do a nice romantic film at some point with Kunal.
How has life changed for you post the decision to live-in?
A lot of new things are happening. For example, living in a new house. My life has surely changed a bit because of that. I am an extremely grounded person. The environment around me goes through several ups and downs but I remain pretty much the same. Plus, films are also different. So I am working in a war satire (War Chod Na Yaar), and I’m proud of it. (My other film) Calling Mr Joe B Carvalho is an insane comedy and it’s a new space for me. It’s a clean film in terms of humour and I’ve always wanted to play a policewoman. I think I have done enough films where my fiancé dies (laughs). In more than 4-5 films, my fiancé has died. Source-Hindustan Times

0 comments: